Kuraray was founded in 1926 for the purpose of commercializing rayon, which was the cutting edge technology at that time. During the Post World War II period as Kuraray became Japan’s first domestic producer of synthetic fibre based on the commercialization of PVA (Poval) fibre under the Kuralon™ brand.
By the mid 1960’s Kuraray had diversified its expertise in developing synthetic fibres with the launch of microfibres for a range of man-made leathers.
Thus, Clarino™ was born.
|1964||Pilot plant in Kurashiki: Production capacity 50 km2/month|
|1966||Mass production plant in Okayama: Production capacity 150 km2/month
Brand name "Clarino™" launched
|1973||Increase of production equipment and capacity increase up to 600 km2/month|
|1978||Launch of "amara" suede type material|
|1980's||Inital promotion in Europe|
|1980's||Sales of "amaretta™" by Haru, then Haru-Kuraray up to 500 km2 to garment|
|1990's||Production capacity at Okayama plant is increased to 10 million m2/year|
|1997||Production capacity increased to ca. 13 million m2/year|
|1999||Production capacity increased to ca. 16 million m2/year|
|2009||Launch of the new CATS plant (Clarino Advanced Technology System) for solvent-free production of Tirrenina™. Today's production capacity: ca. 2.5 million m2/year|
|2016||Launch of Clarino Crust™: solvent-free microfibre ideal for tannery finishing.|
|2018||Certification of Tirrenina™ Nubuck by OEKO-TEX Standard 100|